On Wednesday, January 23rd from 12:00 p.m. to
1:00 p.m., I met with my tutee, Yahyia at CIES. He needed help with his reading
skills. Specifically, he wanted to learn
some techniques to be able to correctly answer questions according to an
assigned reading passage. He had a
passage about erosion and geology that was about one page long and he had about
ten questions to answer. I explained to
him that it could be beneficial to read the questions before the passage so
that he can have a better understanding of what he should look for when
reading. I had him read each question
and identify a main word from the question that he thought would be necessary
to know in order to identify it in the passage.
This seemed to be very helpful for him and he had a good understanding
of what he was reading and he also was able to read quickly. He was concerned about reading quickly
because he knew that this technique is useful but also somewhat time
consuming. I explained to him that it
takes practice and that when he gets used to doing this, it will be a lot easier
and it will come more naturally to him. I
learned that my tutee is from Saudi Arabia and he is at level 3 at CIES. He is currently studying geology so it was
nice to have a passage that he was very interested in.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment