On Monday, January 14th
from 2:00 to 2:50 p.m., I went to Felicia Ciappetta’s Listening class. The
classroom was originally supposed to be in Room 312 but we went down to the
computer lab. Before class started, the
instructor posted a lecture on Canvas as well as three six-minute timed quizzes
for the students to take after listening to the lecture. She told students to
log on to the computers and then log on to Canvas where they would find a
lecture and quizzes. She told them to first
listen to the lecture, then listen to the lecture again and write notes on what
they hear, and then finish notes the third time they’re listening to the
lecture. After listening three times,
students were allowed to take their quizzes on Canvas. The professor wrote what the quizzes and
lecture were going to be about at the beginning of the class on the white board,
which I think can be helpful for students since it can be used to make sure
that they are taking the correct quiz. She told them that they are allowed to
listen to the lecture as many times as they needed to but that they could only
take each quiz one time. The instructor
went around the room to make sure that the students were doing what they needed
to and then sat at a desk to answer any questions the students may have. Throughout
the class, I remained silent so that I would not distract the students but I tried
to peak at the notes the students next to me were taking. I did not want them
to see that I was looking because I did not want to confuse the students or
cause any unnecessary mistakes. From
this class, I learned that it’s important for the teacher to prepare before the
class starts and make sure that everything that the students need are already
on Canvas so that it is easy to access.
It is also necessary for the teacher to give clear instructions at the
beginning of class so that students know exactly what they need to do and to
also avoid errors or confusion.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment