Today I met with my tutee Somaia, who was from Saudi Arabia. She brought her cute little baby, who was relatively calm and did not disturb the meeting. We met at CIES and reviewed her practice essays for the IELTS test, which she plans to take soon. Her mistakes were pretty ones that are pretty common amongst ESL students, such as spelling, usage and grammar. We went through paragraph by paragraph and analyzed all the parts upon which she could improve. Something very common amongst all the tutees I have had is that most often, when they see their mistakes, they are able to recognize them and fix them right away. Articles are always hard as they can seem to have inconsistent patterns as to when we can and cannot use them. Spelling is also hard because there are only so many rules governing pronunciation in relationship to spelling, so it was hard explaining how words in English with different origins can have similar spellings with different pronunciations because the letters in the different languages are pronounced differently.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment