Skip to main content

Jack TS #8


Giancarlo and I started reviewing his application essay for graduate school. I did not want to give him help with content, rather work with him on grammar and spelling. Giancarlo has an amazing talent for being able to correct his mistakes the second he recognizes them, but sometimes it takes a little more time. He is also getting better at picking up on different rules. Now, when I review something with him, he is able to recognize it as we are following along. The difference between the infinitive and the gerund in the object position is definitely a challenge here, but once I point the mistake out to him, Giancarlo has a great talent for being able to recognize it quickly. His essay was about why he should be admitted into the engineering school, which made a lot of sense. We went over more formal versions of writing and ways to use language so as to sound positive, but not to brag. We also went over important grammar points and spelling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley TS #8

My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...

Danielle TS#11

On February 20th, I met with Bao Han at the CIES study rooms to work on writing and some grammar questions she had. I had her write about whatever she wanted to, using the past tense. After she wrote a paragraph or two, I graded it by telling her what was incorrect and allowing her to                   figure it out on her own. Her main mistakes were omitting key transition words or missing articles and making certain objects plural when they needed to be singular. She seemed to struggle most with past perfect continuous so I explained that further and we did examples from her book.

Ashley TS #5

My next tutoring session was with Manal. Manal is from Saudi Arabia and is very serious about CIES (a common trait I found amongst my tutees from Saudi Arabia). She has two daughters, a husband, and is working towards getting her PhD. Manal is very smart and does well with reading and speaking, her biggest issues lie in the realms of grammar and listening. I always find tutoring Manal to be a challenge, for she asks intelligent questions that always put my English grammar knowledge to the test. During this tutoring session we went over a couple of homework assignments that she had gotten back for a grade. She did well on the assignments over all; however, when there was a section of the homework she didn't understand, she got the entire section wrong. There were clear gaps in her grammar knowledge, which allowed me to specifically focus on certain topics versus going over grammar more broadly as a whole. One of the topics she struggled with was personal pronouns. She could understa...