I met Sulaiman again at the coffee shop. When I got there he was working in his notebook on writing. He told me he wants to practice writing and asked me if I could help him. We did an activity where he would tell me about what he did yesterday and write down what he told me. I helped him with verb conjugations and placement. We did this with present and future tenses as well. Afterwards we talked about places he should visit during spring break. He wanted recommendations on places that weren’t Orlando or Miami. I told him he should visit St. Augustine and I showed him pictures. I also showed him pictures of Savannah, Georgia and told him that was a great place to go. He said he would like to visit one of these places during Spring Break. Afterwards he showed me a famous city in Saudi Arabia that was so beautiful and interesting.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment