I met with Ngoc Han at Starbucks this Monday for about an hour and 15 minutes. We first introduced ourselves and I asked her a series of questions to better know where she is from, how long she's been in Tallahassee, how long she's been practicing english, what are her favorite hobbies and subjects, etc. After asking her these questions, I got a pretty good sense of her level, based on what she understood and how well she answered back. Ngoc Han is currently at an intermediate level and expressed to me that her main focus is on verbal communication and composition. She seems very motivated and wants me to correct her pronunciation and grammatical errors, as well as, proof read her writing. I had her write a short paragraph on what activities she wanted to do with me in future meetings and then I asked her to read back to me what she had wrote. I then made corrections and explained them to her. Next, I asked her some more questions and had her ask me questions to see if she could keep up and comprehend the conversation. Lastly, we went over her homework and any questions she had. She needed help with the past perfect continuous tense and distinguishing when exactly to use it, as well as help with fill in the blank exercises using infinitive verbs.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment