On Wednesday, January 30th at 12:00 p.m., Yahyia and I met at
CIES for a tutoring session. He needed
help with a presentation for his speaking class that he needed to present that
day. He wanted to go over the
presentation with my and wanted my feedback.
His presentation was about motivation and setting goals and sticking to
those goals. Throughout his
presentation, I wrote down some things he may have mispronounced or said
incorrectly. When he was done with the
presentation, I would go over everything with him and explain how he could say
those things correctly. We did this
about three times and he improved by using most of my feedback. Towards the end of the tutoring session, his
brother, Ali, came in and Yahyia presented one last time. From this session, I
learned that Yahyia is more motivated to learn English than I had originally
thought because he challenges himself a lot. I already knew he was motivated
but I saw that he was more motivated than I originally thought.
My next tutoring session was with Turki. We met at the Starbucks on Tennessee Street, the usual spot, and started the session with a causal conversation about life and his short term English goals. Turki decided he didn't want to continue with the second session of CIES classes, and that he wanted to rather focus solely on passing the IELTS exam. He said he found the CIES classes to be helpful, but also distracting. He said he thinks he's gotten the most out of his classes and that it would be more productive for him to study on his own. Where I don't completely agree with his logic, it is his life and I trust his decision making. For this session he brought his own material that he wanted to focus on. This time it was a reading passage that I even found to be quite difficult, and I was once again impressed by his far reach in practice and ability. The reading passage was accompanied by a set of numerous comprehension questions that we reviewed and answered together. The qu...
Comments
Post a Comment